Library (classic view)
FBReader is fast and highly customisable e-book reader for devices running Android OS (version 1.5 or higher is supported, 2.0 or higher is recommended).
Since June 2015 FBReader for android is available in two editions, Free and Premium. Refer the table below for the differences.
||1.5 and higher, updates available for 2.1 and higher.
||4.0 and higher.
||List. Thumbnail view is available as a plugin (with ads).
||You can select thumbnail or classic (list) view. 100% ad-free.
|Comic books support
|Dictionaries and translators
||Look up single word in an external dictionary.
||Look up single word in an external dictionary. Translate sentences without leaving the application, using the integrated Google or Yandex translator.
||FBReader is ad-free. Sometimes it will suggest you to install Premium Edition or the plugins.
||Your purchase supports the FBReader project. Thank you in advance!
- supports a lot of e-book formats: ePub, kindle (mobipocket) fb2, rtf, html, microsoft doc, rtf, and plain text
- book collection, reading positions, and bookmarks can be synchronised with FBReader® Book Network, a Google Drive™ based cloud service.
- PDF, DJVU, and comics (CBR and CBZ) files are supported via plugins (PDF plugin, DjVu plugin, comic books plugin). PDF and comics support is built in FBReader Premium Edition. It is not possible to include DjVu code into the main program due to licensing issues
- provides a programmatic API, so some additional features are available via third-party plugins. Most popular is Text-to-Speech plugin by Hyperionics.
- supports direct reading from zip archives
- organizes user library by titles, authors, series, etc.
- bookshelf view for library is available as a separate plugin
- provides direct access to a lot of network e-book libraries and stores
- supports adding of custom OPDS catalogs
- is integrated with popular dictionaries like ColorDict, SlovoEd, Fora, etc.
- can use external TrueType/OpenType fonts
- is localised for 29 languages
- includes hyphenation patterns for 16 languages
Our short-term plans
History and current version
FBReader for Android was written in Java as a clone of original (C++) FBReader program. It was named FBReaderJ, but now we prefer to write “FBReader for Android”. Initial version was partially written as a student project at Academy of Modern Software Engineering.
Latest stable release of FBReader Free is 2.6.1. Latest stable release of FBReader Premium is 2.6. Premium Edition is only available on the Google Play. Free version is downloadable from the Google Play, from other android markets, and from this page.
FBReader source code is dual licensed. The default license is GPL. If you want to build closed-source FBReader-based product, please contact us for information about commercial license.
Full sources are available from the git repository at GitHub