FBReader for Android
FBReader is free, fast and highly customisable e-book reader for devices running Android OS (version 1.5 or higher is supported, 2.0 or higher is recommended). By this moment (August 2014) FBReader was downloaded from Google Play to more than 10 million devices.
Since version 2.0 FBReader for Android is integrated with FBReader® book network, a cloud book storage (located on Google Drive™). You can access this storage from the reader on your device as well as from any browser.
FBReader provides a programmatic API, so some additional features are available via third-party plugins. Most popular is Text-to-Speech plugin by Hyperionics.
- supports a lot of e-book formats: ePub, rtf, fb2, html, microsoft doc, rtf, plain text and (partially) mobipocket/kindle
- book collection and reading positions can be synchronised with cloud
- PDF files supported via plugin (you can install this separately)
- supports direct reading from zip archives
- organizes user library by titles, authors, series, etc.
- provides direct access to a lot of network e-book libraries and stores
- supports adding of custom OPDS catalogs
- is integrated with popular dictionaries like ColorDict, SlovoEd, Fora, etc.
- can use external TrueType/OpenType fonts
- is localised for 29 languages
- includes hyphenation patterns for 16 languages
- better ePub3 support: embedded video & audio, more CSS formatting
- DjVu support
- bookshelf view for library, will be released as a plugin expected in September 2014
- book widgets
- more synchronisation: bookmarks, metainfo, etc.
History and current version
FBReader for Android was written in Java as a clone of original (C++) FBReader program. It was named FBReaderJ, but now we prefer to write “FBReader for Android”. Initial version was partially written as a student project at Academy of Modern Software Engineering.
Latest stable release is 2.0.3.
Binary packages for Android 1.5+ devices are available on the Google Play. Alternatively you can download the package from this page.
- FBReader for Honeycomb (Android 3.*) and Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.*) devices
- FBReader for Android 2.* devices
- Plugin for reading PDF files (Android 2.2 or higher is required)
- Version 1.8.2 for old (Android 1.5/1.6) devices
- Additional modules are available from a separate page
FBReader source code is dual licensed. The default license is GPL. If you want to build closed-source FBReader-based product, please contact us for information about commercial license.
Full sources are available from the git repository at GitHub