FBReader for Android
FBReader is free, fast and highly customisable e-book reader for devices running Android OS (version 1.5 or higher is supported, 2.0 or higher is recommended). By this moment (March 2014) FBReader was downloaded from Google Play to more than 9 million devices.
FBReader provides a programmatic API, so some additional features are available via third-party plugins. Most popular is Text-to-Speech plugin by Hyperionics. If you like crazy fast reading technology named Spritz, take a look to OpenSpritz plugin by Clint Armstrong.
- supports a lot of e-book formats: ePub, rtf, fb2, html, microsoft doc, rtf, plain text and (partially) mobipocket/kindle
- supports direct reading from zip archives
- organizes user library by titles, authors, series, etc.
- provides direct access to a lot of network e-book libraries and stores
- supports adding of custom OPDS catalogs
- is integrated with popular dictionaries like ColorDict, SlovoEd, Fora, etc.
- can use external TrueType/OpenType fonts
- is localised for 29 languages
- includes hyphenation patterns for 16 languages
- better ePub3 support: embedded fonts, video & audio tags, some features will be included into upcoming 1.10 release
- PDF support: we expect to release our PDF plugin in April 2014
- bookshelf view for library, will be released as a plugin expected in May 2014
- book widgets
- synchronisation of books, reading positions, bookmarks across devices
History and current version
FBReader for Android was written in Java as a clone of original (C++) FBReader program. It was named FBReaderJ, but now we prefer to write “FBReader for Android”. Initial version was partially written as a student project at Academy of Modern Software Engineering.
Latest stable release is 188.8.131.52.
Latest development release is 2.0 beta 14. A plugin for reading PDF files is available for this release.
Binary packages for Android 1.5+ devices are available on the Google Play. Alternatively you can download the package from this page.
- FBReader 184.108.40.206 package:
- Release 1.8.2 for old (Android 1.5/1.6) devices
- FBReader 2.0 beta 14:
- Additional modules are available from a separate page
FBReader source code is dual licensed. The default license is GPL. If you want to build closed-source FBReader-based product, please contact us for information about commercial license.
Full sources are available from the git repository at GitHub